Re: off topic one last time

Hey, I finally got around to reading this, and it's quite interesting! Sums up a lot of what I've learned and come to believe in the past couple of years.
--Kath

>>> Morris Krok  11/10/01 09:28AM >>>
from Morris.

	I would have sent this earlier but but my normal e-mail program just
decided to go on strike.

		When it comes to the question of health and the best method to maintain it
there are three schools of thought. The FDA needs to understand the entire
picture as presented here. Both the orthodox system and an aspect of
alternative healing needs a lot to be desired as they ignore basic causes.

	Florence Nightingale in her nursing experiences during the Crimean War
observed that the true cause of ill-health was uncleanliness, impure water
and unsatisfactory food. I will include her remarks in a separate e-mail as
this one is long enough as it is. It is my view that what she stated then is
still relevant today and is in fact the most enlightened, beneficial
statement that has ever been revealed to man.

1. The orthodox or medical system (allopathic) has universal sway. They
teach that the prevention of illness can be achieved through vaccines and
other forms of immunization. For those that are ill, they have special drugs
that will help to restore health even if such a person does not change his
living habits. They believe in specific illnesses and in some cases they
blame germs, viruses and other micro-organism as the cause. So diagnosis is
important for them to prescribe specific remedies or where need be to resort
to surgery and other therapeutic measures. As a rule they do not delve into
the eating and living habits of the individual, except in obvious cases
where smoking or drinking is the problem. At one time there was saying in
the medical fraternity that the most poisonous substances was their best
medicine. Some of their members include what they regard as complementary
medicine as found in alternative systems of healing in treating their
patients.

2. The second school of thought which is a branch of alternative healing,
uses a variety of substances in the form of supplements, extracts, herbs and
even foods to improve the health by making up deficiences. They claim that
many of our illness are caused by the body being deficient in a certain
mineral, vitamin or glandular secretion. Those who use herbs or botanic
prescribe believe that there are specific herbs that have a beneficial
effect on a specific organ either by strengthening it or assisting it to
eliminate something undesirable. It must be realized that some of the herbs
used are of a toxic nature. Homoeopathy has a special claim in that they
prescribe a substance from either the vegetable or mineral kingdom in a
highly diluted form known as the minimum dose or potentized state. The more
such a substance has been diluted or potentized the greater its healing
powers, even if there is no trace of the original substance in the final
medicine. Their method is based on using a substance which produces a
specific symptom. If for instance you have a pain in the heart region, they
will prescribe a remedy that is known to cause the identical symptom. In
other words, like cures like. A homoeopath does not necessarily delve into
the habits of the patient.

NB Special note. The belief that a medicine, herb or food has an affinity
for a certain organ in the body is not necessarily true. Anything that is
imbibed including water is absorbed throughout the bloodstream. A pain
killer although it will deaden pain where such pain is present, it must also
have an effect on other parts of the body. For the same reason when we drink
enough water on an empty stomach it has a refreshing effect on the brain.

3. The third school of thought as that taught by the ancient yogsi of India
and independently discovered by Nature Cure over the past two hundred years,
is that illness is not caused by deficiences but by toxic and unwanted
substances that accumulate in the body from wrong food eaten from infancy.
Toxin substances can also be the result of using synthetic substances as
found in medicine and also from polluted air that has been contaminated by
paint, cleaning material and other chemical substances. They therefore, not
only advised the need to change the diet, but also the need to purify the
body from the backlog of these accumulated substances. The yogis resorted to
a method that cleansed all the apertures of the body including the colon,
the bladder, the stomach, sinuses and lungs - it is known as the six
shatkarmas. The nature curists, on the other hand, resorted to fasting or
the abstaining of food for a period of time until one was internally
purified. Those who undertake either method will be startled and shocked
what is expelled from their inside during the course of the purification.
This elimination can also take the form of withdrawal symptoms. The Nature
Cure philosophy states as our body and symptoms change all the time it is
misleading to give a specific name to them.

	The yoga system which is a more comprehensive approach also resorted to
special breathing measures and a variety of poses that stretched and
exercised every joint and muscle in the body. A unique aspect of these
exercises is the reverse poses such as the headstand and shoulder stand used
to counteract the effect that gravity has on the body. Meditation and
exercises in concentration for enhancing the powers of the mind and the
processing of thought completed their system. It was developed over
thousands of years and they make the claim that it can be substantiated by
anyone who follows their method. Their method works without any special
substance or exotic food.

	It is my view that their understanding and method is the greatest legacy
that the ancient world bestowed on posterity.

	This last method implies that health is the indiviudal's responsibility and
he does not need any special produced substance to achieve it. Through our
own efforts and careful observation we will learn what foods disagree with
us, and why it is wise to learn from the experiences of other persons.
_