Archive and Zip

from Morris Krok

  essence@xxxxxxxx

  Thanks for the tip. Attaching a program file to an e-mail works. I
tested it by sending it to myself.

One of the reasons why I asked was because some time in the past, I was told
that it was necessary to zip or archive an XyWrite program before it can be
successfully sent over the internet. Archiving if my understanding of this
word is correct means a compressing a long file for the purpose of storing
it on disk or sending it more rapidly over the internet?

  Some of the programs that I wish to send deal with spell checking an
entire document by finding every instance of an incorrect spelt word and an
unecessary double word. Using this program in XY3, it merely marks the
double word, in XY4 it asks when it incurs a double word whether you want to
remove one. It is a short program that I am sure the XyWrite gurus could
improve on it, possibly by underlining the incorrect or double word.

  As regards the spell checker there is one other thing. As it is no
possible to edit the dictionary file based on USA spelling, what has to be
done so that it will recognize British spelling and not flag things like
colour, flavour, neighbour, programme, odour etc.

  The other little programs I developed are based on tips from Herb
Tyson's book. Placing chevrons on the command line so one can replace them
with right and left angle brackets. Also to search for Ascii 255 in order to
convert embedded functions into their bold counterpart. The other program is
merley to onvert the angle brackets into chevrons and the bold letters into
functions.
  Carl however, mentions that such programs are already contained in the
U2 file in XYwwweb.

  The XY4 program I have is 4.018 but still for my call a file from a
directory to work, I had to put it in the keyboard file. Including it in the
startup.int file for some unknown reason did not work. All it said was
"Done" though nothing had happened.