Re: Irene's query

Leslie Bialler  wrote:

> But it seems to me that it would be wise for members of this list to at
> least have a basic familiarity with Windows, if it's the op. sys. they
> use.

Ah, now there's a comment I can fully agree with. And I can even offer
some advice (not to Leslie Bialler but to Windows novices) on how to
acquire that familiarity: find a good book on Windows, one that goes
beyond simply rehashing the menu options. The best one I've seen is
*Windows 95 Secrets* (as I think it was called) by Brian Livingstone
(as I think he was called). Unfortunately it probably is out of
print, but the section on DOS in that book still applies to Win 98
and Win Me, and it helps immensely in understanding what's going on
under the hood when you fire up a DOS box or create a shortcut for
Editor.Exe--which essentially is the same thing, no matter where the
shortcut comes from. What matters are the various settings under
Properties.

And of course such a book might even tell the reader about Alt-Enter.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx