Re: Cross-refs to footnotes

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Carl Distefano wrote:

> [repost with line-ends]
>
> Reply to note from Dorothy Day
> Thu, 25 Sep 97 08:12:53 +0000
>
> -> Yes, what you're looking for is cross-referencing using REF and
> -> LB tags. You put the LBlabel delta in the footnote before the
> -> variable punctuation. Then you put the REF delta wherever you
> -> want to cite that note, with your "(see note ≪REFlabel≫)" or
> -> wording of your choice.
> ->
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "variable punctuation", but the method
> in Xy4 is similar to what you describe. You insert a LaBel in the
> footnote immediately before the footnote text (position is
> important), thus:
>
> This is the footnote I want to refer to.>
>
> The cross-reference would be, e.g., "See note ."

Yes, that's what it would look like. What I meant by variable
punctuation is a Nota Bene lapse on my part; NB provides different style
manual footnote styles, with punctuation, spacing, and superscripting
(or not) according to the style manual chosen (MLA, Chicago, APA,
etc.)--so the label for referring to the note number comes immediately
after the FN1 (or FN2 etc), but before any spacing or punctuation that
precedes the contents of the note. On the other hand, (at least in NB) a
label intended for an ordinary reference to some text inside the note
would be placed at the location to be referred to, thus after any
punctuation and/or spacing following FN1.

Sorry to make it sound complicated, but XyWin also makes this
distinction in its menus (see pp 9-23ff in the XyWin manual, esp 9-27 to
9-29 for referring to footnote numbers). The alternatives are to refer
to chapter numbers (REC) or page numbers (REP). REF does double duty for
either footnote numbers or other counters; XyWin does not seem to allow
its use for referring to free text (unnumbered) items, as NB does.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."