Cross-refs to footnotes

[repost with line-ends]

Reply to note from Dorothy Day
 Thu, 25 Sep 97 08:12:53 +0000

-> Yes, what you're looking for is cross-referencing using REF and
-> LB tags. You put the LBlabel delta in the footnote before the
-> variable punctuation. Then you put the REF delta wherever you
-> want to cite that note, with your "(see note ≪REFlabel≫)" or
-> wording of your choice.
->
-> I don't know how you specify just the footnote *number* in Xy4;
-> XyWin has a choice on the Insert menu for Refer to Label, and
-> then lets you check the Footnote number option; Nota Bene also
-> runs this from a menu. Some Xy4 user will have to finish these
-> instructions for that case.

I'm not sure what you mean by "variable punctuation", but the method
in Xy4 is similar to what you describe. You insert a LaBel in the
footnote immediately before the footnote text (position is
important), thus:

This is the footnote I want to refer to.>

The cross-reference would be, e.g., "See note ."

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/