Re: Lexmark printers

--- Michael Norman  wrote:

> For a W98 machine (running XY4.018) I've just
> ordered a new printer,
> Lexmark 250D, PCL 5e Emulation, PCL 6 Emulation. Any
> ideas on which
> printer files I should try to use?

Michael,

I'm unfamiliar with Lexmark models of more recent
vintage, but used to have some idea regarding some of
their older models. The older model I still have
(Xerox Docuprint C20, which I believe was the same
printer "under the hood" as the Lexmark Optra 45, but
with network-ready and print server-ready features
added) has not been connected to anything for at least
a year and a half. If it's of any relevance, I might
be able to research this better for you later, but for
now I have to fall back on vague recollection. Based
on that, I'd say you should start out by testing some
of the later HP DeskJet printer drivers. (We're
talking Xy4DOS here, right ?) Something like the 560C
driver ? If that looks promising, you'll know where
to focus your efforts.

I don't remember now whether I did much Xy printing to
speak of, even while that printer was connected to
something. My Xy printing has always been b&w, text
only, and for that the LJ-4 was always quite
sufficient. But the LJ-4 is connected to a mid-tower
system that was long due for a complete overhaul --
new Main Board, the works -- and that tandem has seen
little use itself for quite some time.

Hopefully the Lexmark you ordered is still a real
printer, as opposed to a Win-printer.

 Jordan