Be careful with Tray Command Line!

I tried try Tray Command Line las night but immediately had to uninstall it.
It did something to Windows (I'm running 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium) such that
the taskbar stayed visible even when a program (including vDosXy) is open
full-screen. Normal behavior (for me) was that a full-screen program occupied
the entire screen, covering up the taskbar. But it gets worse: after I
uninstalled TCL, the unwanted taskbar persisted. A reboot didn't help. (I'm
actually not confident that TCL was totally uninstalled.)

The taskbar properties dialog has an option to "Auto-hide the taskbar", but
this is unsatisfactory. There's still a thin bright line at the bottom of the
screen with the top borders of icons poking up; it's annoying. I've Googled
for a way to make the taskbar revert to normal behavior, but nothing I tried
works. For now I'm running vDosXy in a maximized window on my second monitor.
It's okay, but the screen dimensions are slightly smaller than vDos's "semi-
full-screen".

Suggestions?

Tray Command Line appears to be an old utility (the web page says "Copyright
1997-1999"), so be cautious about installing it on recent versions of
Windows.

BTW, while searching for a solution I discovered a freeware program called
AutoHideDesktopIcons. It blanks the desktop (hides all icons) after a
timeout, with an option to keep or hide the taskbar. If you choose to hide
the taskbar, only the Start "orb" remains visible. Clicking on the desktop
brings back the icons; "hovering" the mouse pointer revives the taskbar. It's
nice to get all of those icons out of sight when they're not in use.

AutoHideDesktopIcons is tiny (27KB zip file) and "portable" (no installation
needed).

Info:
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/AutoHideDesktopIcons

Download: