Re: XPL questions

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sun, 12 Mar
2006 00:44:41 -0600

> Okay, I admit it: a) my use of XPL is probably way beyond what
> was intended or envisioned;

For example?

Managing a moderated, paid listserv.
The main program, which takes 10 to 20 posts, stored as a Eudora .mbx file, adds links to the poster's .jpg (if any) in our possession, makes sure they are in our standard format, prepares them for FTP-ing to a remote server, extracts each post's email address to create a file of recipients to be FTP-ed to the remote server, prepares a digest with a table of content for those who want the list in that form, prepares an HTML version (not very complex, but including the .jpg images) for those who want to read it on the web, prepares web links to similar postings of the past three weeks, assigns a new, random ending to the web site URL (so that only paid subscribers can find the page with those posts--"security through obscurity"), then launches an FTP program to put all this up on remote servers.
All that is just what I can recall off the top of my head. The XPL is 15k
and uses about 70 s/g's. The XyBasic source code is 22k.
There are other ancillary programs, such as the one I wrote for my wife to
handle the subscription renewals, including generating form-letter receipts
as a Eudora .mbx file--that's only 8K of XPL.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx