Re: NB: What I've learned so far

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Richard Giering wrote:

> Hi Leslie & Dorothy:
>  I'm the person who queried about strip.prn. If
> I understand you correctly, you suggest using RV
> (Review) and then SAVE AS to some other file name
> (which would be the same as changing the PRN to
> STRIP and then TYPEF. I culd then exchange the
> saved file. Is this what you suggest?
> If so, I'll try it, but I suspect the page/line
> formatting will be about what the PRN file would
> generate and not what an exchange should have.
> How about Modes (e.g. bold, underline, etc.)??
> Will let you know what I find out!
> Dick Giering

Dick,

The trouble with RV/types/prints is that margins and other features are
retained. When I use it, I set OF=0, TP=0, BT=0, PL=255 (you may also
have to set LM=0; Nota Bene just uses OF for left margin.) Then RV
produces a pretty clean copy for text no longer than 255 lines; if
longer, I just delete the page break at that point. As I said, the print
modes are retained, so you have to do a global ci |≪MDLL≫|| in
expanded mode to get rid of all of them.

One of the NB list members also wrote a nice little xpl program to clean
up files for email in NB4; I don't know how well it works on NBWin
files, but probably would need to be rewritten to catch new codes. You
can find em-cl.run (and other goodies) on J-P Takala's site at

	http://www.helsinki.fi/~jtakala/notabene.html

		Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day			School of Library & Information Science
day@xxxxxxxx					   Indiana University
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."

 Oct 11, 1999: According to John Roth, chief executive of Nortel
 Networks, an estimated 2.5 billion hours were wasted online last
 year as people waited for pages to download.