Re: Workaround (Binswanger)

≪	I thought of a better .kbd solution:
	nn=xp,sa,wg
≫ --Harry

Makes a not necessarily valid assumption about the desired view state.
Changing the wf default is neutral. Your first instinct was right.

≪	[To force an update], put on your save and store keys a sequence
to put a space in the file then remove it:
	nn=gt, ,bd,bc,sa,xc
	nn=gt, ,bd,bc,st,xc
≫

Makes a potentially destructive assumption about the insert/overstrike
state. Using a carriage return char (ascii 13) instead of a space is
SI/CI-neutral, avoids overwriting a char if the state is overstrike.
Incorporating Robert's wisdom about the superiority of Q2 over the use of
parens for even short BX commands and commas:

	GT,[asc 13],BDBX,d, ,w,f,=,0,Q2SABX,d, ,w,f,=,1,Q2

≪	There's nothing more irritating--apart from yet-another-instance
of this endless carping nonsense--than an unnecessary SAve of a long
document (as Xy4 still performs with removable media drives, and Xy3
performed always), during which XyWrite goes into a coma. ≫ --Robert

What! Here in the cybercapital of carping, where every new query is
scanned for an opportunity to promote an alternative OS, a complaint
about *carping*? Bring the salts. ... Harry's msg re., e.g., cc changes
since the last save makes a pretty persuasive case for forcing a save.

≪	[Unanalyzed saving is] certainly out of line with how most
editors I'm familiar with handle disk-saves. ≫ --Carl

Precisely! Don't we use xyWrite because it *is* unlike other apps?
v3 alone trusts me to know what I'm doing. I consider the lone v4
improvement in this regard its advising, on trying to open a file, that
the file already is open in another window. I've seen dismayed reporters
lose all updates to a story in v3 by storing the current version, then
(cluelessly) an earlier version that was in another window they'd been
unaware of.

≪	Even so, Annie, I'm heartened to see that you're coming to
appreciate how readily Xy4 can be made to imitate its predecessor's
quirks. ≫

"Readily"? Doesn't this very thread refute that? In the aggregate,
the time needed to think through each change and the frequent need to
write an xpl macro as well as a .kbd sequence are most counterproductive.
... Ciao. 	--a