Re: Virus in bigedit.exe

Yes that's a very good site (even though I think Microsoft purchased it some time ago), and it runs more like 50 antivirus programs against any file up to their size limit, or even against a URL to check websites.  It will often say that this item has previously been scanned, so would you like to check the last report as opposed to a re-scan ?  I generally go for the re-scan. It only takes an extra minute.  When I see only 1 - 5 malware reports on an item (out of 50 or so virus scanners), I consider that to be a likely false positive.  This is even more true when some of those turn out to be "never-heard-of-them" or also-ran A-V programs. You come to know the serious contenders (like Sophos or Eset or Kapersky), vs. those like Panda that were never well regarded, and have much less credibility.

     Jordan

From: ortile
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:53 AM
Subject: Virus in bigedit.exe

Some time time ago, about the same problem, Carl suggested me to drag
the file to "www.virustotal.com", a site that submit your file(s) to a
variety of antivirus programs (20, 30, may be more), so giving you the
opportunity to evaluate for a real virus, a suspected virus, or a false
positive, depending on the number of programs that alert you.
All of the antivirus programs, except one, found the file "not infected"
I found the site very useful.
Adriano Ortile