No Subject

Sorry, but using XyWWWeb as a central repository isn't an option,
for several reasons. For one, we pay for the disk space, and I
for one am not willing to subsidize additional space. The idea of
charging a fee, or opening the site to advertising, is totally
unappealing. Public access, free availability of resources, and
editorial independence are very important to us. Collecting money
is an administrative headache we don't need. What's more, our
site license doesn't permit commercial use, and a commercial
license costs significantly more.

Robert is out of town and I don't purport to speak for him, but I
suspect he would agree with me on this.

This is not to say that a central repository for user programming
isn't a good idea. It is. There used to be such a place, the User
Uploads section of the TTG BBS. Its de facto successor is the
CCAT site and, barring a more congenial alternative, that, IMO,
is where it should remain (Nathan and U.Pa. willing).

As far as I'm concerned, the only "uncongenial" aspect of CCAT is
the difficulty of uploading user files. A facility for
receiving ftp uploads from list subscribers would be a
significant enhancement. Also, a browsable CATALOG.TXT --
devoted exclusively to Xy-related files -- with
descriptions of what's available at both the gopher
and ftp sites.

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx