Re: XyWrite Restricted

How small does it have to be? I recall running XyDos 3 on a 720 K floppy,
and I'm pretty sure I managed to run 4 on a 1.2 Mb floppy with kbd.,
defaults, and a couple of printer drivers and personal spelling
dictionaries--almost everything except the help file. As for sorting the
dir, that's puzzling. The default is to list files alphabetically by
filename (Command ref, 2-23). Maybe because you're running without
SETTINGS.DFL? But remember that a computer lists all numbers before all
letters, so if you're getting all files with numbers as the first
characters in their names first, that's a computer's idea of
alphabetical. But I think one probably really needs SETTINGS.DFL (mine is
only 11 K). Or one needs the DSORT command in STARTUP.INT.
	As for the "stuttering," I think you probably have to load color.dsp.
But why not try the trick Robert mentioned a little while ago for another
problem: From a normal Xy session, call your regular STARTUP.INT. Comment
out each Load command you think you won't need, one at a time; save,
exit, and reopen. See which file's absence causes the stuttering to
occur, and you know you need that one. Standard debugging technique.
Tedious as all get out, but it works.
	So let's see: Editor.exe, xy4.kbd, settings.dfl, dict.spl, startup.int,
and your personal spelling files for shortforms (and is that ever
useful!). Half a dozen files. Throw in one or two all-purpose printer
files (PS, HP, and Epson/IBM). Compare that to the plethora of DLLS and
other alphabet soup files the typical Windows app inflicts on a system,
and even a full-fledged, cutomized install of XyDos is the epitome of
lean and mean. In fact, I seem to recall someone saying he ran it on the
old HP palmtop. And the modularity is what gives it its flexibility. Good
luck convincing this chap, but he has to realize Xy can do MORE than a
mere text editor--and more that one NEEDS to do than the typical bloated
WP.
Patricia