Re: Signature v Xy4DOS

>I'm also still using XyWrite III+. I've built quite a few lengthy macros
>(some up to 8k long), and find them incredibly powerful and useful. Is
>there a newer version of Xysomething that will allow me to continue using
>them (without too much conversion)? I'm now running Windows NT4, and am
>forced to run XyWrite in a full-screen session because of NT's dreadful DOS
>Window performance (the startup.int file loads a character at a time!!). A
>strange thing about XyWrite III+ is its dates. A directory listing now
>shows 1980 as the year for any file modified after 31st December 1995.

This is a bug that has been discussed on this BBS. As I recall, it is
specific to one or two versions of III+ (not the latest versions of III+).
Xy4 comes for DOS and for Windows--two different versions. I think the
consensus is that it is better to run Xy4 in its DOS version under Windows
(3.x or 95) in a "DOS box." There are some *very minor and rare* changes
that might have to be made in your macros--but probably they will all run
correctly as you have them. I seem to recall that the "PI" (Printer
Instruction) embedded command doesn't work in Xy4, but chances are you don't
use it anyway. A relatively painless transition. You certainly won't find
that you are left unable to function in going to Xy4, it's more that you
won't be able to take advantage of the new features right away.

Does anyone else have a view on these issues?

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx