Re: XyWrite / Signature to MS Word Conversion

> > ... virual bumper sticker: "XyWrite. Great Product. If only it
worked."

> Ouch! What doesn't work in XyWin and/or Signature?

Well, for starters, file conversion. I love the XyWrite concept. The
option to edit the actual code rather than working through however many
levels of arcane menus appeals to me enormously. But the product is
generally "buggy" much as if it were an advanced beta release.

The worst problems I have encountered relate to screens which do not
reflect the underlying reality. Cursors in the wrong place. Chunks of
text, particularly in headers and footers, which aren't actually there.
Major problems in aligning headers and footers on the actual final printed
document. Problems printing to HP Deskjet series printers using XyWrite
drivers.

The decision to abandon the product as a document processing/production
platform was brought on by too many XyWrite-induced system hangs which
resulted in lost data. (Autosave at two-minute intervals with long complex
documents is simply not practical.) Technology Group's failure to respond
to faxed requests for product support certainly did not help.

I can find much in MS Word to complain about. "Word is repaginating the
document"? for all of thirty minutes? I thought repagination died along
with WordStar! But it is an industry standard. And it hasn't (yet, touch
wood) lost me data.

Cliff Featherstone
   Web and Data Master at World Equity Network
   the name behind WEN and DataShare
   Tel: +27-11-706-7114  Fax: +27-11-706-5833
   www: http://www.hot.com/wen/
   e-mail: wen@xxxxxxxx
   Mail: Box 98195 Sloane Park 2152 South Africa
  Cliff Direct: Tel +27-11-788-4562  Fax: +27-11-788-0828
   Mobile (GSM Cellular) +27-82-893-6731
   e-mail: cliff@xxxxxxxx
   Mail: Box 98553 Bryanston 2152 South Africa