Re: OT: Books on writing?

of the detective story with the current (and still current) idea that we are presented with problems that have solutions, whereas she argued that reality was far more complex than that.

Then she's over-simplifying. The real reality is far more complex than that.
But I cannot recall any discussion of detective story and horror story. Of course, a lot of Sayers is out of print.
It was from the 30s, and I read it circa 1980. I think it was horror
stories that was the contrast. Maybe it's some other genre. But one part of
her contrast that I recall is that in detective stories, the murder(s) are
treated coldly, analytically, whereas in the other genre, they are supposed
to shock us and make us aghast.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx