Re: OT: Books on writing?

There is the difficult issue of exactly when a metaphor becomes a
dead metaphor. (Standard example being table leg(!), which, I take
it, none regard as metaphoric. As a friend once pointed out another
example is "dead metaphor". )
 I feel sure that "tools", in the quote, isn't metaphoric any longer
(if ever). The rest we could argue. But, I think the larger point is
that even dead metaphors (or even simply terms with multiple
meanings) keep their etymological and semantic echoes which can
clang when piled into the small chamber of a sentence.