Re: XP--screen length

Have you ever gotten 40 lines to work properly with XyWrite?
If I have, it was achieved only briefly and I could never repeat the feat.
But I don't trust my recollection here.
... VGA in the BIOS was, and may
still be, limited to certain lines (25, 28, 34 [sometimes], 43, 50, 60 [sometimes]) and columns (40,80,132) -- maybe some other options, I forget. You can't just get any old configuration you want --
Thanks for that clue. I'll try some of those. That would explain why it's
defaulting to 43.
What's wrong with 80 x 43 @ 28 pt, you set SL=40, and you just let the last
three lines go to waste (dribble off below the visible screen if necessary --
although I can scarcely believe that, at 1920 x 1200 resolution, 40 or 43 lines
of 28 point won't fit entirely on-screen!).
Actually, it won't. The reason I chose 28 points is that it is quite, quite
legible (Lucida Console really is a well-designed, well-engineered font),
and the reason I chose 40 is that except for a few pixels, it fits the
entire vertical dimension of the screen excepting the start bar stuff that
is typically at the bottom on an XP screen.
To put it another way, why insist
on 40 when 43 works just fine? Set SL=43 and be done with it.
Anyway, taking your lead, I adjusted point size to 27 and screen length to
43. The vertical bars go away, and everything is fine from that point of
view. But the screen is still too long. I next tried 26 points, and that
just fits. As I would really prefer a larger font so I could sit further
away, I'll next experiment with 34 lines as you suggest. As usual Robert,
you came up with the goods! Happy Boxing Day to one and all. - - Bill