Re: XP--screen length

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Thu, 25 Dec 2003
23:42:32 -0500

Have you ever gotten 40 lines to work properly with XyWrite?

Here's my take, FWIW: XyWrite thinks it is a VGA program (or worse: EGA, CGA,
Hercules, Mono -- depends on the setting of GraphicsAdapter VAariable GA -- VG
is the highest quality it can handle, 640x480). Clearly, it _tells_ the
operating system that it is displaying in VGA. VGA in the BIOS was, and may
still be, limited to certain lines (25, 28, 34 [sometimes], 43, 50, 60
[sometimes]) and columns (40,80,132) -- maybe some other options, I forget.
You can't just get any old configuration you want -- although some video
adapters may be more flexible, I dunno. Your report that when you ask for 80 x
40, you actually get that when you shell to DOS, but you're stuck with 80 x 43
when you run XyWrite, is indicative of this.

What's wrong with 80 x 43 @ 28 pt, you set SL=40, and you just let the last
three lines go to waste (dribble off below the visible screen if necessary --
although I can scarcely believe that, at 1920 x 1200 resolution, 40 or 43 lines
of 28 point won't fit entirely on-screen!). To put it another way, why insist
on 40 when 43 works just fine? Set SL=43 and be done with it.

And I agree with Manuel, who is very much on top of this issue: Uwe Sieber's
multi-line terminal fonts (for full screen) are lovely, and his fonts for DOS
boxes look pretty good too -- as good as a DOS box can get, which may not be
saying much, but...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx