Re: XyShell Clipboard and conversion of ANSI characters

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:22:42 +0200

Manuel:

>>>I also believe that it is not possible
>>>to set font to Lucida Console in a DOS box under Win98SE (Properties
>>>give me a set of bitmap or True Type fonts but without a specific name).

Patricia said that, I think. And it is verified by many other non-XyWrite
users.

> An interesting post by Brian Henderson has addressed this issue.

His info pertains to WinNT, not to Win9x. The command shell for W9x is, in
fact, COMMAND.COM, and, according to Patricia, you can't set the font by name.
You'd have to change completely the way Program Manager works to get the option
to set a font by name.

According to what I am reading elsewhere, in Win9x you simply cannot change the
system CodePage without reinstalling the OpSys. (In WinNT [=NT|2K|XP] it is
extremely easy to change the CodePage.)

> I suppose it would be necessary to customize the printer file. Am I right?

Well, yes, whatever you do, you'll have to customize PRN a bit. Just adjust
the SUbstitution table a bit. Very easy to do!

>> But I do believe you'll want to retain those "ugly" surround lines,
>> since ú and Ä are both characters you'll be wanting to see on-screen -- yes?
>>

> With my current codepage (850) I have all those characters on-screen and
> printing works without any problem.

Except that with an ANSI text, they're the wrong characters, both on-screen and
printed. Look, we're trying to implement an ANSI XyWrite. (I'm getting
interested in this, theoretically anyway...) Give me a sample from your
current KBD file: how do you generate, for example, "ñ". What keystroke do
you use (Alt-something or what?), and what's the corresponding assignment in
KBD file? You could send that to me privately. Maybe I'll set up a thorough
ANSI implementation... In fact, why not send me your KBD file, your normal PRN
file, and a complete list of the keystrokes you use to generate characters with
diacritics, Euro, whatever (Ctrl-this=char x, Ctrl-that=char y, Alt-this,
Alt-Shift-that, etc etc). I'll just make a complete ANSI system. Under Win98,
you'll be limited to Full screen DOS (using the VGA FONT CP1252.FNT tool);
under WinNT you can do both Windowed and Full Screen. I'll make a frame that
does all the work (toggling between ANSI and 850 or whatever your default is):
SETP, LDKBD, VGA.

Bye

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx