Re: Screen fonts; XyWin

There is a way to install XyWin under W95 and W98, but I've "lost" my sheets on how to do it. It involves starting Windows in Safe Mode with several files not booted at the start. One then copies the disks -- in reverse order, I think -- to a "rogue" directory (:\xw4 by default, if my memory serves me correctly again), and then the installation process copies the files to the \xw directory.

I did Laplink everything from my W3.1 laptop to the W95 desktop and everything was fine -- until recently. Now I am getting an RWFactory error message.

I have XyWin going beautifully on my W98 laptop, and think I Laplinked everything from my W95 desktop -- but I might be wrong!

I tried copying the files from my laptop to my desktop, but still got the RWFactory error.

Phillip Alder

 Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

Robert Holmgren wrote, "go to Properties and set Font to Lucida Console."
Where do you find Lucida Console? I have that font on my system (it's
there when I go to Control Panel-->Fonts), but when I click properties on
a DOS box, I just get a list of numbers, some with the TT of TrueType
(I've checked both types), some without; but no named fonts. (I'm sending
Robert a bitmapped screen shot of what that part of my properties window
looks life, off list.) Right now, with a 13-inch monitor set at 640 X 480
to accommodate my shortsighted eyes, the default DOS font is fine, but
eventually I'm going to have to get a bigger monitor to use the smaller
resolution most Windows apps require, and then I'm going to have to start
playing around with the display. Using Win98, 1st ed, COMMAND.COM and
WIN.COM dated 5-11-98.
David B. Kronenfeld wrote that he cannot ge! t XyWin to load or run under
XP: XyWin won't INSTALL under any 32-bit Windows (well, maybe under 95,
but it's a struggle even there). But it will I gather (am at 98 and not
going any further with Gates' garbage) RUN fine if you "install" it by
copying it from a running Win 3.1 installation over to a 32-bit OS box
(by way of network, serial or parallel transfer, ZIP disk--which was how
I did it--or temporarily installing the old hard drive in the new box).
Unlike even most other Win 3.1 apps, XyWin does NOT leave bits and pieces
of itself all over the system; it's all in that DIR.
Patricia