thank you to Robert Holmgren for warning re New computer with large hard drive.

Dear Robert

Thank you for the warning esecially when I had not even asked about that problem.  You had written

>If you are dual or triple booting be SURE to make your C: drive (where Win98
>must be) FAT32 and install Win98 first.  Put XP on a separate FAT32 partition
>(put your XP-only apps on NTFS, unless you also install Lindows -- I don't
>think Lindows can read NTFS, and you probably do want all your OSes to see all
>your files -- I presume there's still a driver that enables XP to read Ext2 or
>whatever filesys Lindows uses).  In a dual booting environment, lots and lots
>of things can go wrong, and you want to be able to fix problems with Win98 DOS
>boot diskettes or CDs (BTW, install an A: drive!  pretty important for people
>using DOS apps) -- although, ironically, with the dual setup you contemplate, a
>DOS boot diskette will not be able to read C: because, in order to select your
>OpSys via BOOT.INI, the master boot sector *must* be set for XP while the boot
>sector for Win98 is file-based (copied to C:\BOOTSECT.DOS), and DOS boot
>diskettes don't know how to deal with that.

Based on your warning I think I will abandon my idea of dual booting with Windows 98SE on a hard drive and stick with xp.  Other than the freezing of the window in which xywrite was running when I exit xywrite I have not had any problems with running xywrite under xp.  The work around of a dual boot system crash sounds as counter intuitive as the work around when a stacker drive crashed where if you made a minor mistake such as failing to keep track of which drive was the physical c and which drive was the logical c  there was a good chance you could wipe out two drives.

I had only wanted to use windows 98se because it is seemed to be more stable for my two dos apps, xywrite and wordperfect and the window xywrite was in (which was usually full screen) did not freeze up under windows 98se as it does under xp.  Since I very very rarely switch from xywrite to a windows app and was only interested in windows 98se because the xywrite window did not freeze on exit would it make any sense to make a windows98Se command prompt diskette and boot from it when I want to be able to quickly close out of xywrite to go to wpdos5.1 or vice versa.  I have always kept my dos apps on the d drive and have never kept documents from either xywrite or wordperfect on my c drive.

On another point since I want to be able to read all my xwrite and wordperfect documents on all my computers I have formatted all the drives on all my computers as fat32.  Is there any reason to consider ntfs.  In any event I will do a lot more investigation about Lindows before I start with it since it would just have been an experimental diversion.

Again thank you for alerting me to problems I had not even realized existed.

mailto:avromf@xxxxxxxx or mailto:af413@xxxxxxxx