Backup

Here's more than you probably wanted to know about backup (not too well
organized unfortunately).

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/08/30/2327232.shtml

It's 2006 and Backups For Home User Still Tricky?
Posted by Cliff on Wednesday August 30, @10:35PM
from the backup-data-density-still-lags-behind dept.
Data Storage Media

CranberryKing asks: "What is it about backups that always seems so
difficult? I am trying to do a simple backup on my home XP system/s (about
30GB of files) that will write to my DVD burner. I don't want compression
(most of it is MP3s, which don't compress well). I want a routine to simply
write my selection to the DVD writer and spread it across however many
discs are required (rather than me manually approximating and copying to
each disc). I want the files on the disc readable from any system, so no
proprietary backup wrapper or DAT files, please. My last attempt was using
a free program that looked good called Simply Safe Backup, but it created
two coasters before crashing with an unknown error. If I can just get a
full backup to work smoothly, then I'll worry about scheduling,
incremental, and encryption. This seems like a very common scenario for
home & small offices. Is there an elegant, reliable & cheap (free) solution
to this?"

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019