Re: decode

Reply to note from "Morris Krok"  Wed, 12 Dec
2001 10:52:32 -0800

> In the U2 file you have decode as well as uncode. Do they have
> related functions, one doing the opposite of what the other
> does? Carl has often sent programs in text form which have to
> be decoded, but my question is how is the text version
> formulated in order for decode to work.

Well, there's DECODE and there's UNKCODE, two very different things.

DECODE decodes the plain-text representations produced by ENCODE.
The way to "formulate" that plain-text representation is to DeFine
your XPL code and then issue ENCODE. The uses for ENCODE
aren't limited to XPL. You can use it to encode any non-
text material that can be displayed and DeFined in XyWrite or NB
(e.g., formatted text). The purpose of ENCODE is to ensure that the
encoded material isn't corrupted during transit via e-mail.

UNKCODE is a keyboard-file utility that translates .KBD file code
back into XPL. It's the companion to KCODE, which translates in the
other direction: XPL into .KBD file code.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx