Re: Off-Topic -- Apparently intractable problem FIXED!

A list member magically fixed this problem for me over the phone by
having me kill Normal.dot, the Word Templates folder.

Great. I had a similar litany of problems on a computer
I was supporting running Win98 and Word, but it
ultimately turned out that the problem was bad memory.
Ever since PCs lost the parity checking bit, memory
problems have been more prevalent.

For the support archives, I'd like to add a positive XP
story. Recently, I installed a pro version of Easy
CD 5. Avoid it like the plague! It destroyed the drivers
for my CD-R drive. Now here's the good part. XP
has a great feature, which you can disable if you're
really self destructive, which simply lets you turn
back the clock on the system. You can tell it to
restore the system to where you were a few hours
ago, or yesterday, or the day before, or last week,
or last month, etc. etc. etc. This is a phenomenal
feature for fixing sick systems. It does _not_ interfere
with your data files. It really, really works, and for this
feature alone, I would strongly recommend XP.