Re: looks like I've been hijacked (OT)

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, Patricia M. Godfrey  wrote:

> >> And for Pete's sake, get a second hard drive
> (they're dirt cheap)
> >> or, if it's a laptop of a SFF box with no
> room, get a partition
> >> tool and create a data drive.

There are and have been some SFF boxes with more options. I have a P-series Shuttle I'll be getting
up and running shortly. Still not much larger than the familiar "double-shoebox" size
they popularized, but it can accommodate up to 3 hard drives. Two of them would be mounted
transversally, on top, just under the case cover. Unfortunately, none could be the plug-in /
plug-out variety, unless one was willing to have a custom cover made for this, and that would likely
thwart their just-adequate design for cooling. However, it does offer an e-SATA port at the back,
which should open up some more rapid backup possibilities. And, as you noted, hard drives are
pretty cheap these days -- even if you add in the cost of an external enclosure.

> Yes, BBG and most apps WANT
> you to
> do that, but you can force them to let them go where YOU
> want. (I
> have never been able to get apps, except DOS ones and
> portable
> apps, to go elsewhere than c:\program files; Robert
> has

Someone once told me you could just open Windows Explorer, and drag the app folder(s) to a different
partition or drive. Sounds way too easy, and I'm sure you must have tried that long ago. If I ever
tried it, I don't recall. But my strong suspicion is that there would still be many meg.s of
drivers, DLLs, and whatnot -- stashed elsewhere by Win -- that would *not* go along for the ride.

> And an image of C: requires 2 DVDs: 23.6 G (actually, there
> are some unused apps that I should remove. And it probably
> needs defragging. Though separating data from apps and opsys
> does make defragging less frequent.

Unless there is some compelling need for going with the DVDs, your imaging will best be accomplished
to another hard drive.

 Jordan