Re: XyWrite -->Ansi utility

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:06:19 +0200

> Robert, Please don't forget my suggestion for a possible XyWrite-->Ansi
> conversion... I suppose it would be
> enough to reverse the existing utility Ansi--->XyWrite but, as usual,
> things are not that simple.

Well, that's the problem. It's much harder, there are so many potential
characters to convert *from* when you take Speedos into account. (Are we
considering the Speedo extended character set, or not?) And how many days did
we fiddle with the program going the other direction? Took a week to get it
right. It wasn't easy. And I never use it! (a big negative factor in
determining priorities)

So I'm not *ignoring* you, I just don't get a thrill when I think about the
prospect of writing this. Now, if you said "no conversions from Speedo chars
>255", it might seem simpler... but that's no good, because some standard Ansi
chars <256 are only found in the Speedo extended set >255. And what's the
default font and mode? Wysiwyg (which means you take printer fonts into
consideration) or the 850 full-screen console font?

I dunno, Manuel. Every time I think about this idea, I drift toward a cold
beer.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx