Re: Unix and Xywrite and whatnot

Carlo asked:

> 1. Does Virtual PC give you a full screen of XyWrite?

    Absolutely -- or graphics view in a small window if you desire,
and either just a keystroke apart.

> 2. What has been your experience with peripheral devices, especially when
> printing from XyWrite? Does the active .PRN file continue to rule the
> printer, or do things get changed along the way? What sorts of things,
> and what controls them? How are fonts handled?

    My only printer these days is a Lexmark Optra R, which is
Postscrpt. Unfortunately, Lexmark doesn't do Mac drivers, so I can't run
the printer off the Mac directly, although Macs are Postscript machines
by default. So I run the printer off a Linux server (unix also being
Postscript by default) and access it from my Mac thru ethernet. Which
works just fine, but I assume that otherwise if I had a Mac compatible
printer it would as well, since you'd still be using the Postscript .PRN
file. And Postscript is the best anyway, right?

> 3. Can you control the appearance of the working window by using
> XyWrite's settings (.DFL)?

     That I haven't tried at all, but if graphics view works so
seamlessly, I'd think anything else would as well.

> 4. Can you use the DOS command to leave XyWrite and get to DOS (and
> "exit" to get back again)? Or is its better to open DOS as a separate
> window?

     You betcha', and also the DO whatever command.

> 5. Have you tried printing any chained files (ty @) with or without
> cross-references (LB / REP sequences, etc.)?

    Haven't tried that -- but if you're wife has a Mac, why don't you
get a copy of Virtual PC and try it. It was only $50 for the plain DOS
(no w95 included) version. If her Mac is older, it might be a bit slow,
but should still work, unless it's one of those really old ones with the
small buiilt in screen, etc. Don't know how or if they're multi-sync and
would handle the graphics view, etc., but the printing stuff should work
the same.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx
http://harmon.bml.usouthal.edu