Re: Xy-Dosemu (and Dosbox) non-Postscript printer

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
I recalled that Robert had mentioned LPR (March 07), and was wondering
if that might be a solution to Vista's inability--or refusal--to honor
Net use. But it runs up against the same problem: Vista does not,
apparently, recognize unc names if you don't have real network. And a
real network requires a router; hubs or switches don't work, I suppose
because they don't give you Internet access, and Vista cannot believe
you'd want a network for anything else. (And once I connected my
laptop to a router, even though there was no broadband connection,
Vista disabled my dialup modem. Grrr.) When I tried to create an LPR
port, Vista told me that \\ThisPC (in the server box) and Prnname in
the printer box (real names, obviously) were not valid,
Is yr problem with a printer connected to another computer on yr
Vista-capable nonnetwork network, or to a printer connected to the USB
port of yr computer?
If the latter, when my networking was trashed in WinXP and NET USE wasn'
t working, I managed to print from XyWrite to my USB printer by creating
an identical (nonexistent) printer on LPT1 and pooling it. I don't know
if this works for Vista, but in XP I created the new printer using the
Add a printer wizard. I stopped WinXP from automatically finding the
printer and instead worked through the printer selection menus to
identify my printer. I put the printer on LPT1, and then I named the
printer CLP-510a so I could tell them apart. I then enabled printer
pooling, and pooled the LPT1 printer and the USB001 printer. Since the
nonexistent LPT1 printer was offline, the job went to the USB printer.
It would be interesting to know if this could fool Vista into letting Xy
use a USB printer in the absence of a "network."

Paul Lagasse