Re: Xy-Dosemu (and Dosbox) non-Postscript printer

Paul Lagasse wrote:
for clues to enable kludge-free printing from Xy under Dosemu for a non-Postscript printer. The solution, which perhaps I should have figured out much earlier than now (duh), appears to be simple and straightforward, relying only on using Robert Holmgren's POSTGHST.PRN as
I recalled that Robert had mentioned LPR (March 07), and was
wondering if that might be a solution to Vista's inability--or
refusal--to honor Net use. But it runs up against the same
problem: Vista does not, apparently, recognize unc names if you
don't have real network. And a real network requires a router;
hubs or switches don't work, I suppose because they don't give
you Internet access, and Vista cannot believe you'd want a
network for anything else. (And once I connected my laptop to a
router, even though there was no broadband connection, Vista
disabled my dialup modem. Grrr.) When I tried to create an LPR
port, Vista told me that \\ThisPC (in the server box) and Prnname
in the printer box (real names, obviously) were not valid,
But many thanks for finding this solution. Printing was the one
thing we really needed for Xy under Linux. And Linux is looking
more and more attractive--if I didn't have to spend so much time
trying to debug Gates's garbage.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx