Re: More ignorance

** Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  06/02/96
05:39am -0400

>     I--er, my friend-- doesn't get the purpose of .dlg files. Xy is a
> command line word processor, bless its heart. I never used A la Carte
> (remember that?), so why would I or my friend want to use .dlg files
> (enhanced or not)? Is there a value in them for someone who hates
> menus?

The beauty of Xy4x is that you dfon't have to use the menues for routine
work; even when they're all loaded and lurking in the background, there's no
performance cost.

I rarely use menues for routine functions; everything's assigned to keys. But
it's nice to have them available when I perform some nonroutine function.
The open files dialogue is convenient. I've started using the search and
replace dialogue, assigned to a key, because it's a little quicker, and I think
I'm going to like Baehr's scrollable search stack.

For me, the bottom line is that aside from opening files and searching, I
almost never use menues. But since there's no cost to having them
available, it's handy.

And, all things considered, 4.X is more convenient to use, and no slower,
than 3.5X.

Just one humble guy's opinions....

        ***James D. Besser, Washington correspondent ***
 Fax: 703-978-3675 * E-mail: jbesser@xxxxxxxx or 4212207@xxxxxxxx ***