A better bookmark

A BETTER BOOKMARK

Do you every find yourself jumping back and forth in a document
repeatedly between two specific areas of text? Say when checking
references or captions against the text?

I cooked up a simple bookmarking facility.

You modify the CONTROL sub-table entries number 93 and 97 in your
\prog\xywrite\ibm.kbd to read:

93 cl,BC,s,e,b, ,2,XC;mu

97 cr,BC,s,e, ,2,XC;md

where the 2 keypress "chord" will give you a reverse
smiley face. The reverse smiley face is not essential to this
facility; you can use any non-printing character you want that
does not cause problems. I just happen to like the reverse smiley
face.

Next "save" ibm.kbd then enter "load ibm.kbd" in the command
line. After you get the "done" message, you're in business.

With these modifications, page-up and
page-down hunt up and down, respectively, for a smiley-face
(what you get when you type 2).

You can set as many smiley-face bookmarks as you want. To set as
many marks as you want in your text, simply hit 2 every
place you want a mark. By magic, a smiley-face will appear.
Subsequently hitting page-up and page-down will run you
up and down through your text stopping at each mark in order.
You'll get the customary beep when you run out of smiley-faces.

To remove a mark, just delete the smiley-face. The facility
positions the cursor so that you can always get rid of smiley
faces with a backspace.

What can I say, it's stupid and it works.
But it's faster and more handy than the alacarte "bookmark"
function.

Charles H Small senior technical editor
EDN Magazine
275 Washington St