RE: XyWrite Word Macros

Mr. Holmgren said:
> Any chance you could just attach them to a public msg?

I'd be happy to do that, as long as everyone is happy with the 14K
attachment. I guess my question is, how big is too big to assume it's
o.k. without asking? Is there some protocol on this point?

 >From what I've seen to date, 14K is small enough not to ask about in
advance. So here it is. But I'd like to hear what people think/know about
the netiquette for attachment sizes. Thanks.

Caveat: These macros are very basic. They handle things like MDBO (bold),
MDRV (italic), MDUL (underline), FN1 (footnotes), MDI* (insertions), MDD*
(deletions), and so forth. There are a lot of things they don't cover. If
there's something you want that they don't do, let me know and I'll see
how hard it is. In general, xy2word conversion is a lot easier to
engineer than word2xy, even within MSWord, because Xy's formatting is
transparent (like HT/XML), while Word's is obfuscated. (For instance, it
is very easy to convert Xy redlining to Word redlining within MSWord, but
I have found no way to make the reverse conversion -- Word doesn't allow
programming access to the redlining/revisions characteristic of the
text.) In general, these macros are good for very simple formatting
needs. For more complex translation needs, I would heartily recommend the
external, stand-alone filters.

The attachment is a MSWord document template with the macros in it. Open
the template in Word and read the instructions. Let me know if you have
problems.

Shawn

shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx