Re: NB startup question

Nathan Sivin wrote:

> In my installation of the demo NBWin, NBSTART.INT is in the /NB
> directory.
>
> I modified it to load my highly customized XYDOS keyboard, which
> works well enough for testing the demo. Some minor things don't
> work. For instance, ctrl-O, which I use to insert a newline with
> the cursor on the line above, insists on showing the Open File
> dialog instead. Inevitable, I suppose, in a standard Windows
> program (which XYWin isn't).

Nathan,
You may be interested in the following, submitted by Mary Bernard, to
the NotaBene list.
Cheers,
Bill
--
William H. TeBrake
Department of History			E-Mail: tebrake@xxxxxxxx

-----

I've discovered that my shareware macro program, Macro Express, will
overpower NB5's hard-coded ctrl keys, such as Ctrl S, Ctrl F and Ctrl O.
It will do a great deal else besides. It's by far the best of the
shareware macro/remapping programs I've tried - and I try out every one
come across or can dig up on web searches. In fact, it's the best
shareware program of any kind I've ever had (I speak as a shareware
junkie). The only other that I find anywhere near as useful and
user-friendly is Clipmate (saves multiple clips, but that's just the
start
of it).

MExp will put an NB5
command on the command line and execute it. It also run a sequence of
commands, e.g. you could get it to call a file and then to change all
occurrences of StringA to StringB. It will run XPL programs. Its
remapper
will remap all alphanumerics and punctuation keys (but not CTrl Shift
Alt
NumLk or Caps, alas). It contains a reminder-macro maker which is better
than any W98 alarm I've found (almost none of them will run a reminder
every 40 minutes, say - ME will). It contains an abbreviation-expansion
thing like NB's (i just type 'em' and it inputs my email address). ME
will, of course, lauch programs,
resize windows, shut down /restart the computer, etc etc etc. I haven't
even tried dozens of the things it will do.

You can make macros by recording keystrokes, or by writing them directly
(the language is very simple, and there are buttons to help you input
commands), or via a Scripting Editor - oh, and by using macro-making
Wizards.

You can use the same key combinations over and over in different
programs,
for you can have both global and program-specific macros. And you
can
construct popup menus of macros. I think that means that ME can be made
run the equivalent of NB4's user help screens, which enable you to run
about 20 programs by pressing an NB key combination (which calls up the
screen) and a letter or number (which runs the program).

They're quick to help if you've got problems - and responsive to user
suggestions, too. They've just produced an
upgrade, and a suggestion I made a few months ago has been incorporated
into the program.

This paragon of a program can be got at:

  http://www.macros.com

Mary

Mary Bernard