XyWin follow-up question

>Why must you go to a Windows program?

>However perhaps I'm not alone on the list in
>wondering what kind of Windows support across the LAN can run an "old"
>16-bit Win3.1 application but not a somewhat older 16-bit DOS
>application?

Thanks for the responses. Up until a couple weeks ago I'd never been part
of a discussion group; I've found it enjoyable and interesting.
The follow-up questions have made me realize that I may have a different
problem. Let me see if I can more carefully outline the root cause of our
situation, and then ask what I now think is the real question.

A. XyWrite III's lifespan at our company is limited because of program
conflict with network upgrades.
	Our LAN is being upgraded from Netware 3 (which is no longer being
supported) to Netware 4, which is 32-bit. Part of this upgrade involves a
piece of software called Client 32. I'm not involved with any of that, so
my understanding of it is rather limited. But what I *do* know is that a
conflict is occurring between Client 32 and XyWrite III, the result being
keyboard amnesia--any keystroke with more than one character or mnemonic
gets stalled until another keystroke, at which point both keystrokes are
executed. Someone has suggested that this has to do with shared memory
space between the two programs. XyWrite III does work fine in Win95
*without* Client 32.
	(BTW, I *have* worked out a theoretical solution to this problem, but it
would make for a long bootup, and seems like a crutch at best.)

B. We want to keep using the same word processor (and data format) for as
long as possible (5 years?).
	Windows 98 supposedly marks the beginning of the elimination of DOS
(although I realize it does still support DOS). Even without the Client
32 problem we'd be faced with replacing XyWrite in a few years anyhow.
So, since we're being "forced" to do something about our WP now anyhow,
we want to kill two birds with one stone by switching now to a Windows
program--one that will still work when DOS is eliminated from Windows.

So, the big question is, is XyWin pretty much a DOS program (Xy4) with a
Windows interface? If so, the implication is that it would not run in a
Windows environment once DOS is finally eliminated. Likewise, the Client
32 problem may still be in effect (although I'm getting a system set up
to test that). So if someone could address what kind of application XyWin
really is and/or make an educated guess as to how it might behave in a
Windows environment without DOS, I think that's really where this needs
to go.

Thanks, all.

Timothy Olson
Editorial/Technical Assistant