Re: WC wildcard

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:51:59 -0500

> I'm using XyWrite 3.54... I'm trying to get the XPL program I'm writing
> to recognize a carriage return using the WC wildcard character (carriage
> return) (pfunc WC). Every time I save the file the WC character turns
> into something else. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Yeah. It was a 3+ bug. In 3+, Ascii-253 was the first character in a
hidden six-byte string that triggered the display of modes and formats. Quite by
coincidence, or by lousy design, Ascii-253 is the third character of func WC. So
WC could never survive a screen refresh; EDITOR always thought it should interpret
the 253 as the onset of some new display characteristic. So forget about WC;
luckily you don't need it anyway, since the concept of a Wild carriage return has
about as much meaning as a wild capital A.

Several methods of SEarching for carriage returns are detailed in CTRLCHAR.TXT.
Go to:

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

Then search the XyWWWeb page for "CTRL": that should point you at
CTRLCHAR.TXT. After you've DLed it, look for SEarch Methods #4 and #5. (The
various six-byte Ascii-253 display mode triggers are also tabled there, under
SEarch Method #3.)

Good luck.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx