RC and RD

Since I increasingly move back and forth between Xy/Dos and
MS Word 97, I'm trying to get them to use the came key
combinations.

My biggest problem: in XyWrite I want the delete key to
both delete the character at the cursor when no text is
defined, and delete a defined block.

Setting 83=rc,rd, it works, but when nothing is
selected, I get an annoying "must select block" message,
followed by an even more aggravating pause It deletes the
character at the cursor, but the delay after that is very
annoying.
And if I want to delete a series of characters without defining
anything, it's a real problem.

I tried reversing the order--rd,rc. No difference.

Is there any way to do this?

BTW: because so many of my clients have switched to Word,
I tried working in it for 3 weeks. Liked some things, surprised
by its stability, but in the end it was just too cumbersome. So
I'm back to Xy/Dos, and importing the resulting files into Word
so I can send them as attached Word files, which my clients now
demand.