Re: Update on keyboard problem with Xy3 under OS/2

Robert Holmgren:
>Huh? What is "everything"? Which of these two things was the actual problem?
>Your msg sheds zero light. If the second issue (RC5-DES) is the source
>of your problem, then what is the relevance of KBD naming -- why say that "it
>[key renaming] began to generate errors" if RC5-DES was the culprit?

When the fairly amazing problems began to occur after renaming the
shifting keys, I went back to the original key names. Of course, that
did nothing to eliminate the initial problems that elicited your
suggestion to rename the keys in the first place -- it just restored
things from worse to bad, so to speak.

Stopping the RC5-DES client running in the background eliminated all
problems. And now that the problems seem to be solved, as far as I
can tell there's no real need to try renaming the keys again. I'm
willing to entertain suggestions to the contrary, especially if they
come without an economy-size dose of attitude.

I do hope that sheds a bit more light on the situation for you.

Just for the record, there should be a new RC5-DES client for OS/2 in
a few weeks, and I'm also in the process of getting a copy of Xy4DOS.
With any luck one or the other of those will let me crunch code blocks
while XyWriting without any of the keyboard problems I've been having.

>I've had wierd names for my KBD shifting keys for ten years, and I've never had
>ANY problem.

Bully for you.

--
Stephen A. Carter      High-Tech Information Center Nagoya, Ltd.
mailto:scarter@xxxxxxxx                Nagoya, Japan