Re: Tweaking something...?

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Mon, 29 Mar 2004
16:23:48 -0500

> Robert wrote:

>>There is zero reason to load IDKEY.PM to a Save/Get. It is part of U2. So if
>>you want to launch it, you just command IDKEY. If you use it so very
>>often that you need to assign it to a KBDfile key (which is hard to imagine,
>>but... whaddo I know),

> I must use it 10 times a week. It is invaluable.

>>you set:
>>  nn=NOJM2,.,i,d,k,e,y,Q2

> I didn't know it was in U2. Maybe you should save us time and list the two
> or three things that are NOT in U2.

Huh? Everything is in U2. That's what libraries are for -- we've been saying
this for 10 years. NOTHING should be anywhere else!

> I already have put it onto ctrl-alt-K as a r,u,n, command. Is that
> memory-use-equivalent?

When I JUST told you the EXACT key assignment to use, instead you assign it a
RUN command and ask me if that is equivalent! What's the matter with you?
What's the matter with everybody? Why do we waste our time? For ten lousy
years we've been telling everybody to put their personal programming in U2, and
nobody pays the least goddam attention. We give you about 700 examples or
templates for merging freestanding or personal programming into U2, and repeat
hundreds and hundreds of times examples of KBDfile launch commands. Surely
none of this is beyond the capacity of the author of XyBasic!

Why do we bother at all?

No, it is NOT equivalent. First, if it is in U2, then it is already indexed
when you load U2, i.e. it is ready and available, and you are wasting that
indexed memory location, albeit tiny, by RUNning it. Second, it is the latest
2004 version -- not the 1985 or whenever version. Third, it is not taking
duplicate disk space. Fourth, it is a shorter KBD assignment, ergo less
KBDfile memory. Fifth, if you need to fix it, you know where to find it.
Sixth, why not cultivate good habits instead of bad habits?

This memory thread really stuns me. It makes me wonder, how many of the
problems we address here are just red herrings, and really due to Out Of
Memory? When I get home, I'm gonna check, how many times have we mentioned
VA$M+6 -- a hundred times? two hundred times? Obviously, we're just wasting
our breathe.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx