Re: XY in DosBox (XP)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Mon, 29 Mar
2004 17:52:50 -0500

I'll look at all this when I get home. Too complicated. Do you have an
external monitor available? I think you would not see half of this if it
weren't for the lousy notebook screens. You've enabled screen expansion in the
BIOS? There's an "Fn-Fkey" combo that triggers screen expansion, I forget
which (I don't have my ThinkPad with me). And when you lose the cursor in Xy,
you can command CURSORON to get it back. Double cursor is
specifically due to the problem I mentioned yesterday...

I don't think your problems are inherent to WinXP. I can't reproduce any of
them on this Dell Inspiron 4000 (crappy though it is) with WinXP Pro SP1.
Neither do I see them under Win2K with my ThinkPad... Maybe it's YOU, and your
baaaaad habits! What I can never understand is this:
Why am I always trying to solve other peoples' problems, and seldom
experiencing any problems myself?? Very mysterious...

-------------

> 1. With startup.int disabled and...Shortcut=>Properties=>Program Cmd
> line=C\XY\EDITOR.EXE. Normal window. XY starts fine, one cursor. Cmd DOS or
> DOS/NV take me to dos in a DosBox. All's still normal. *Exit* back to XY in
> DosBox, no problems. Xy still runs. But...Alt/Enter to FullScreen Xy and I
> still get one cursor, but XY is frozen in full screen. Alt/Enter back to XY
> in DosBox and its still frozen.
>
> 2. Following your instructions to edit the console keys in the registry. On
> my XP Pro there is no *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\DOS Window.* I do find
> *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\FullScreen.* Changed value from 0 [zero] to 1
> [one]. Restarted machine. Exact same behavior as above.
>
> 3. With Startup.int loaded (includes U2 and getxyos and settings.dfl). A)
> Double cursor is back. Shell to dos: gets me DOS in a DOSBOX. I get an
> underscore blinking cursor under the *E* in *Type EXIT etc...* And NO
> cursor at the DOS prompt, however when I start typing the characters
> appear. (NOTE PLEASE that this last step -- no cursor at the prompt -- also
> happens on my W98SE machine when I shell to DOS; I've been living with it.)
> To continue...when I try *exit* back to XY I get a blank blue DOS Box with
> nothing in it save a blinking underscore at the same position -- column and
> line -- as I got after I shelled to DOS. Restarting, again, to test
> alt/enter in this configuration, it works: I can go from DosBox Xy to
> FullScreen XY and the program works in both.
>
> 4. Startup.int edited this time; U2 and GetXyOs out; settings.dfl loaded.
> A) Can shell to DOS and back now and program works. (Still no cursor in DOS
> at prompt, but, as I said, this happens on my W98SE machine as well.
> Obviously something in settings.dfl doing this.) B) No problem alt\enter
> back and forth to full-screen and DosBox, program works in both. No double
> cursor, no freezes. Interesting, however, in full-screen I get 50 lines. In
> other configs above I got only 25 in full-screen.
>
> 5. Startup.int edited, version two. U2 and GetXyOs LOADED; settings.dfl
> edited out. No double cursor. A) Can shell to dos AND I get a cursor at the
> prompt, and I can shell back to XY. Everything works. B) No problem with
> alt/enter to full-screen and back. Both views show 25 lines.
>
> Perhaps a setting(s) the .dfl is also contributing to the A) Double cursor
> with everything loaded and B) the program disappearing when I shell back
> from DOS and C) the lockup caused by alt/enter. Or perhaps there is some
> combination of a U2 setting and a .dfl setting.
>
> At all events, there does not appear to be a major problem with the
> machine, right?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx