Re: Xy on XP--an amende honorable [changed to Shut Down, or not]

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Which reminds me, remember how scared we all were of XP not allowing you to upgrade more than 3 (?) components without jumping through hoops? What happened to that? Did anyone here run into that limitation? Just curious, I'm about to buy a new laptop (which I leave on 24/7).
Don't know, but the fact is that an OEM license (the kind that
come installed on a name brand PC) CANNOT be transferred. When
the PC dies, so does the license. You cannot take the CD (even if
you had a real Windows CD, not one of those "restore" CDs, full
of shovelware), stick it in your replacement box, and
install--well, you could install, but you couldn't activate. A
SHRINK-WRAPPED copy, on the other hand, can be transferred. They
cost a fortune now, since the supply is limited (though M$ has
postponed the deadline for selling), but the "upgrade" ones can
be used on bare iron if you have an old 98 or ME CD lying around.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx