Re: A Real puzzler

** Reply to message from Wolfgang Bechstein
 on Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:28:47 +0900

> You mean to say, Robert, that in all your years at sea (on the ocean of
> the net) you have never come across sideways smileys before?

Come across? Probably. Paid attention? Understood? Thought
it was anything other than an artifact of emailers? No. Wasn't
even curious about them. Fell through a hole, I guess.

> Frankly,
> I'm amazed. I'm not fond of them myself, and of the more recent
> all-singing all-dancing graphic variety even less, but it must have been
> _very_ hard to avoid them altogether since, oh 1982

Honestly, have a visceral reaction against pop stuff like that.
The graphical emoticons, impossible to ignore, are soooo stupid,
and usually follow a particularly labored attempt to be
humorous. What's wrong with nuance, sarcasm, irony, in plain
text?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx