the big green door...

Can't yet let this go ... the order of adjectives seems more irregular
the more I look at it. I taught English as a foreign language and never
noticed this. My grammar books discuss word order in the context of
subject, predicate, and object, and a few exceptional instances ('may he
rest in peace', 'had I met him earlier...'), but there is no mention of
adjective order.

Ed Reading's is indeed an instructive little example. Other examples
where size and or color vary: A vindictive little woman. A vituperative
little old man. An ugly little brat. A big black man (meaning one of
negroid race). A wretched white man (meaning one of caucasian race).

Flash