Re: Xydos to Quark?

Exactly 2 months ago I asked the list for help in getting
Xydos text through Word for Mac and into Quark in order to
satisfy a major client.

The client responded a few moments ago that the conversion
was a total success.

I want to thank Bill Troop, Jan Prager, Sheldon Factor,
Nathan Sivin, Otis Port, and Jeff at Peregrine for their
comments and especially the Keeper of the Archives for
making it possible for me to find a fiendishly clever trick
Leslie Bialler posted way back when (save as RTF and change
the extrension to .doc) that solved well more than half the
problem for me. And thanks to Leslie for some offlist
handholding when I didn't quite believe something so simple
could work.

Ultimately, I did have to install Word, but I only need to
visit there for a few moments per assignment. I still live
in Xywrite.

(Since Leslie's trick does not preserve modes, I enclosed
all the phrases that needed boldfacing in brackets and then
plunked down the cash to get a phone tutorial from Microsoft
on how to use only a few keystrokes in Word to bf about 100
brackets, none of which contain the same data. If anyone
else needs to do this, let me know and I will sent
instructions.)

Thanks again to all.

Judith Davidsen
jdavidsen@xxxxxxxx