Re: Missing descenders in Notabene

How depressing to read this thread. I seem to remember all these issues in XyWrite for Windows. You would have thought after all these years that there would have been a complete rewrite. GPFs? I haven't experienced those in a decade. It sounds like legacy problems with a clumsy Dos-to-Windows translator that have never been resolved. Why?

And what's happening with Unicode, OT and OT-contextual support on NB? I wonder if there would be demand for a XyWrite-like program that had, or could have, rtf for its native format?

Why can't they rationally redesign the program and hire some brilliant Chinese or Indian programmers?

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Michael Norman mailto:michael.norman@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>At 01:04 PM 3/9/2008, Paul Breeze wrote:
>>I've played with zoom, and 'size as a % of Printer Font' but these
>>make little difference.  The only font with which I can reliably
>>keep the descenders on screen is Lucinda Console.  It seems a shame
>>to be forced to use a non-proportional font when there are so many
>>better fonts available.  This may be font-size sensitive, to the
>>extent that if I move from my usual 12pt to a smaller font, more of
>>the descender appears but I cannot find a way to entirely eliminate
>>the problem with the proportional fonts I have tried.
>At 01:26 PM 3/9/2008, Michael Norman wrote:
>Is your WIN DPI setting 120 (Large Fonts)? [Display
>Properties->Settings->Advanced->General. My money's on that.

Nope. Tested it twice. Just wrote to NB tech support with a CC to you Paul.

Michael Norman