Re: XyWrite Source Code

Fredric Gross wrote:
I consider it most unlikely that the TTG creditors now own the source code. Either the Bankruptcy Court approved a sale of the source code (perhaps as part of a package of TTG assets) to a particular person or entitity, or else the source code was "abandoned" -- i.e., none of the creditors wanted it and none believed it had a monetary value of sufficient consequence to justify the cost of an auction. As I understand bankruptcy law (and I am no expert), "abandoned property" reverts to the debtor, i.e. TTG, and upon TTG's dissolution, it presumably would revert to the shareholders. Thus, as a practical matter, the source code has fallen into a black hole, and will not re-appear unless and until some TTG shareholder brings an infringement suit (or one of the geniuses on this listserve reverse engineers the source code).
Surely the Free Software Foundation has dealt with this
 sort of thing before? I suggest Erikson get in touch
with them and see if they can give him any advice.
If what Fred Gross says is true, this is yet another
glaring error in our intellectual property laws. (How
about arguing that it violates the Sherman Anti-Trust
act's prohibition of conspiracies in restraint of trade?)

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx