Re: XyWrite/NB with BartPE

At 10:04 PM 5/27/2007, Harry Binswanger wrote:
Robert wrote:
Would anyone be interested in a BartPE plugin for XyWrite or NBWin?
If I understand BartPE correctly--yes Xy4! But that's assuming: a) BartPE is free, and b) I don't have to have my (never supplied) XP installation disc to set up BartPE.
There are several sets of instructions on several internet sites for extracting the XP opsys from HD's, this if all you have is a so-called *reinstallation* disk, disks that include the opsys and drivers. In part I used this: http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm. I did not, repeat did not, have to use the I386 method. I borrowed a clean unencumbered XP Pro SP2 install disk instead, then skipped to the "Building the BartPe" part of the instructions. Of course there are instructions on the BartPe site itself, but I found these easier to follow. Also shows how to add plug-ins. I used my BartPe disk last month. I'd deleted a registry entry that prevented the computer from initializing XP. I'd backed up the registry with ERUNT, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to get to NTFS C:\, my only partition, to a DOS prompt on the HD to run ERDNTon the hard drive. I put in BartPE, got a WIN environment, and, staring at *run* it suddenly occurred to me just to type the name of ERDNT executable in the box and run it. Thinking about it now, I could have tried to get to an NTFS C:\ prompt through BartPE. Never tried it. But that disk works (though I admit I held my breath and said some Hail Marys). The recovery options that BartPe offers are reassuring. But I was wondering what non-emergency uses one might find for BartPe Xywrite and NB plugins. Xywrite as an ascii editor is obvious. Maybe Xywrite/NB as traveling editions? Michael Norman