Re: Dos Box creepers and more

At 11/6/2002 05:28 PM -0800, Jordon writes:
Let us know of anything you discover in regard to flat panels and Xy. Thus far, I have only used someone else's Viewsonic panel (a relatively base model) at their workstation. It is usable, but I find several things annoying, starting with the
3 or 4 second delay when switching between running programs. The screen goes
black while it is handling the changeover. I'm used to an instantaneous response
on CRT monitors -- not to mention a much better display.
Well, the Jordon, there are two efforts afoot: an attempt to get the
jerkiness out of the cursor when using XyDos in an XP dos box (this is an
effort that Robert has been bird-ogging and a few of us have been reporting
back on) and an occasional discussion about partitioning hard disks to run
two operating systems -- in this case W98SE (the last Win where Xy SEEMS to
run okay) on XP, and the more expensive (very) alternative of emulators,
such as the popular Virtual PC or VMWare. For me the best look XyDos can
produce is in a box with Uwe Siebert's fonts, so I'm trying to get that
configuration set up on XP, but we are having problems. Since this is being
done at work, the Sysop (who is sympathetic but does not have the time to
research legacy programs, especially DOS programs) is seriously considering
purchasing Virtual PC. Which MAY or may not solve the problem at work. But
I'm planning on a new machine at home too, so I need to solve the problem
without using the emulator. I can not recall whether anyone here has bought
an XP machine and successfully installed W98SE in a partition and is
running XyDos therein in a box. Perhaps they can report in.

Michael Norman