Re: Dos Box creepers and more

michael.norman@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Jordon writes:
> Quite often, you need to modify the
> >System Environment variable, which was buried in a fairly obscure location in
> >NT or W2K.

> If the XP'ers are lucky, it still
> >involves settings at the program object (desktop shortcut, in Win),

> > not too disimilar from the memory settings
> > entered for the one in W98.
>
> I'll try that, Jordon. Once we get XyDos running in an XP DosBox, I plan to
> stick with that configuration, which, with Uwe Siebert's DOS fonts, gives a
> good screen and great text at many different resolutions on different
> screens, perhaps even on flat panels

I'd like to try those. Haven't had the chance yet, though.

> (currently I'm using the Sony
> Multiscan G220). But...I'm also, as a backup and an alternative, trying to
> get Ultravision to work on XP. It freezes in both the box and full screen,
> as if it can not recognize keyboard commands. So I was wondering about
> running DOS programs in general in XP. There's little *help* in XP's help
> files and fiddling with all the settings in the pif (properties tab)
> shortcut seems to make little difference.

By most reports, the DOS program & util. support has deteriorated steadily through
successive versions of Win. This is one more reason I have no plans to advance
beyond W2K.

Let us know of anything you discover in regard to flat panels and Xy. Thus far, I
have only used someone else's Viewsonic panel (a relatively base model) at their
workstation. It is usable, but I find several things annoying, starting with the
3 or 4 second delay when switching between running programs. The screen goes
black while it is handling the changeover. I'm used to an instantaneous response
on CRT monitors -- not to mention a much better display.

Jordan