More ignorance

Robert, Tim, and whomever:
    I would be embarassed to ask these questions, so let's say I'm asking for a friend:
    I--er, my friend-- doesn't get the purpose of .dlg files. Xy is a
command line word processor, bless its heart. I never used A la Carte
(remember that?), so why would I or my friend want to use .dlg files
(enhanced or not)? Is there a value in them for someone who hates menus?
    So far (about a year into the transition from III+ to IV) the only
time I *ever* use a dialog file is a) when I can't recall all the fonts I
have to choose among and b) when I need to edit some xpl program stored in a
..sgt file (and then I have to wend my way through a maze of menus to get at it).
    My friend is quite open to being persuaded--his lower lip is not sticking out.
    What should I tell him?
    Regards,
    Harry

     Harry Binswanger